[NatureNS] Late Hummingbird and Turkey Vulture

From: "Ken McKenna" <kenmcken@pchg.net>
To: "NS-RBA" <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>,
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:30:06 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0195_01C6EE45.964890D0

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
kenmcken@pchg.net

Hi all=20
    I had a call from Brian Dalzell this evening and he reported a =
Hummingbird attending a feeder he had left up but had not been around to =
check for a few days. When he arrived at his home in Colchester Co. near =
Tatamagouche he noted the bird attending the feeder till dark tonight. =
He could not be sure if it was Black-chinned or Ruby-throated but is =
hoping to get a better view tomorrow if it stays around. He has no =
available phone contact, but said he would let me know of the identity =
if he sees it again tomorrow. Brian is in the Mill Brook area south-west =
of Tatamagouche. I don't have exact directions, but Lake Rd.-to Slade =
Rd. to Mitchell Swan Branch (unmarked). Brian felt the Hummingbird was a =
female- there was no  throat speckling.=20
    Brian also reported  Turkey Vulture today near Warren Baptist =
Church, Cumberland Co.=20
On Tues. Oct.10, Harry and Jean Brennan reported a Dowicher sp. and a =
possible Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Linden, Cumberland Co.=20
    On Wed. Oct. 11, Ken McKenna reported 35 Red-throated Loons. 250 =
Bonaparte's Gulls and 150 Red-breasted Mergansers, 2 fem. Pintail at =
Waterside PP., Pictou Co.,  200 Common Grackles at Central Caribou, 1 =
Common Tern at Caribou I. and 30 Bonaparte's Gulls at Pier C in Pictou.
    On Thurs. Oct. 11 at Big I. 6 Red-throated Loons, 3 Horned Grebe, 2 =
Red-necked Grebe, 3 Blackpoll Warbler, 7 Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Lesser =
Yellowlegs, 11 Dunlin. 4 White-rumped Sandpiper, 3 Black-bellied Plover, =

67 Bonaparte's Gulls-- there were a couple hundred more in Merigomish =
Hbr. I only had 3 Great Blue Heron down considerably from a week ago. =
Both Lapland Longspur and Horned Larks were heard at Big I.  I had a =
Pine Grosbeak and 9 Ring-necked Ducks at Camp Geddie.=20

cheers
    Ken
------=_NextPart_000_0195_01C6EE45.964890D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:kenmcken@pchg.net">kenmcken@pchg.net</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi all </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I had a call from =
Brian Dalzell=20
this evening and he reported a Hummingbird attending a feeder he had =
left up but=20
had not been around to check for a few days. When he arrived at his home =
in=20
Colchester Co. near Tatamagouche he noted the bird attending the feeder =
till=20
dark tonight. He could not be sure if it was Black-chinned or =
Ruby-throated but=20
is hoping to get a better view tomorrow if it stays around. He has no =
available=20
phone contact, but said he would let me know of the identity if he sees =
it again=20
tomorrow. Brian is in the Mill Brook area south-west of Tatamagouche. I =
don't=20
have exact directions, but Lake Rd.-to Slade Rd. to Mitchell Swan Branch =

(unmarked). Brian felt the Hummingbird was a female- there was no&nbsp; =
throat=20
speckling. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Brian also =
reported&nbsp; Turkey=20
Vulture today near Warren Baptist Church, Cumberland Co. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On Tues. Oct.10, Harry and Jean Brennan =
reported a=20
Dowicher sp. and a possible Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Linden, =
Cumberland Co.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; On Wed. Oct. 11, Ken =
McKenna=20
reported 35 Red-throated Loons. 250 Bonaparte's Gulls and 150 =
Red-breasted=20
Mergansers, 2 fem. Pintail&nbsp;at Waterside PP.,&nbsp;Pictou Co., =
&nbsp;200=20
Common Grackles at Central Caribou, 1 Common Tern at Caribou I. and 30=20
Bonaparte's Gulls at Pier C in Pictou.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; On Thurs. Oct. 11 at =
Big I. 6=20
Red-throated Loons, 3 Horned Grebe, 2 Red-necked Grebe, 3 Blackpoll =
Warbler, 7=20
Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 11 Dunlin. 4 White-rumped =
Sandpiper, 3=20
Black-bellied Plover, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>67&nbsp;Bonaparte's Gulls-- there were =
a couple=20
hundred more in Merigomish Hbr. I only had 3 Great Blue Heron down =
considerably=20
from a week ago. Both Lapland Longspur and Horned Larks were heard at =
Big I.=20
&nbsp;I had a Pine Grosbeak and 9 Ring-necked Ducks at Camp Geddie.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Ken</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0195_01C6EE45.964890D0--