[NatureNS] on apostrophes in geographical names

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:05:06 -0300
From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I once read -- or heard? -- that at some point mapmakers began deleting
apostrophes from place names in coastal areas out of worry that apostrophes
would be mistaken for islands. Has anybody else heard or read this version
of things, which might very well be a total fabrication, a mapmakers' myth?
    My experience has certainly been that the inconsistency with "to
apostrophize or not to apostrophize" -- or even to use the possessive of a
name or the plain name -- goes far back, to earlier centuries. My family's
ancestral site in Charlotte Country, N.B., has been variously printed on
maps and in other places as Bartlett's Mills, Bartlett's Mill, Bartlett
Mills, Bartletts Mill, etc., as nearby St. Stephen has appeared in various
ways. (Of course there must be hundreds if not thousands of similar cases
across the country.)  Curiously, as far as I know, St. Stephen's  near
neighbour St. Andrews hasn't appeared as St. Andrew. The history of the town
published in 1932 had it as St. Andrews, with no apostrophe, and that's the
way I've always seen it, but I suspect the apostrophe was there somewhere
further back.
    Brian