[NatureNS] more on Beached Whale and Floating Dead Whale?

Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 12:23:15 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, Tonya Wimmer <twimmer@dal.ca>,

What I heard on the news yesterday, Oct. 6, was about two different whales.
One was a small, 5-metre MINKE WHALE that was grounded somewhere and still
alive, but I can't recall where -- South Shore somewhere?

The second one was a floating dead whale somewhere in the Bay of Fundy, and
the federal Fisheries and Oceans marine mammal expert was on his way to
examine and identify it -- no information was given on how it had died, but
the report did reiterate that 2 different young female RIGHT WHALES had
already been killed this year by ship collisions in the Bay of Fundy.  Let's
hope this is not another dead Right Whale.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville