FW: [NatureNS] more on buckthorn

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:28:08 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jim & All,        Sept 25, 2006
    Third time is trying time. You are correct Jim, thanks for catching
this. The common name for R. frangula is variously Alder Buckthorn or
European Alder Buckthorn.

    With regard to possible value of this plant for wildlife, we noticed
yesterday that many small birds were feeding on Rhamnus. They were
constantly in motion so I didn't get a good look at any.

    In looking at the floras I see that, South of Amherst, R. frangula --
by 1945 (Roland); "...has spread into a pasture where it grows like
alder bushes."
by 1969 (Roland & Smith); "...locally has spread into a pasture where it
grows like alder bushes." and
by 1998 (Zinck); "...has spread locally into pastures where it grows
like alder bushes."

    Which raises two questions. Were these pastures abandoned or active
? How do alder bushes grow ?

Yt, DW, Kentville