[NatureNS] Black-backed Woodpecker, Lun County

Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:23:35 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "Patricia L. Chalmers" <Patricia.Chalmers@ukings.ns.ca>

--=====================_991110781==_.ALT

Hi there,

         This observation reminds me that I had intended to report that on
Saturday, 18 September, a female Black-backed Woodpecker was seen along the
Yellow Trail of the Indian Path Common, near Bayport, Lunenburg
County.  Anne Mills, who was leading a field trip focussing on Mosses for
the Halifax Field Naturalists (a great walk, thank you very much Anne)
first heard the bird at work in a large dead conifer.  Since I was right
behind her I was able to see and identify the bird.  Two other woodpeckers
were calling just ahead of us.  I thought from their calls (a single sharp
"peek") that they were Hairy Woodpeckers, but I didn't see them before they
flew away.  I have since learned that a Black-backed call is similar to a
Hairy's call, though with experience they can be distinguished.  I haven't
seen and heard many Black-backed Woodpeckers though!  I suppose it is
possible that there was a family group of Black-backed Woodpeckers; this is
something for the Atlasser in that area to look out for next year.

Directions :
Take exit 11 off Hwy 103 at Blockhouse.  Turn left onto Rte 324.
Continue until you cross old Rte 3 at a gas station; drive
about 12 km to a 4-way stop with flashing red.  Turn right
onto Rte 332 and continue straight ahead past the Shell
station for about 5 km until you see the sign for Bayport.
After the Bayport sign look right for the Indian Path
sign.  Turn right on Indian Path and drive for 1.3 km to
Fish Peddler Road.  Turn left and continue for 1.8 km on
the dirt road until a blue and white municipal sign on the
right.  This is the trail head.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 03:01 PM 24/09/2006 -0300, you wrote:

>Karine Gautreau and I observed a lone black-backed woodpecker about 10
>minutes walking into the Aspotagan trail from the Hubbard s entrance.
>Other birds of interest included a few warblers and 2 winter wrens.
>
>Jesse

--=====================_991110781==_.ALT

Hi there,<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>This
observation reminds me that I had intended to report that on Saturday, 18
September, a female Black-backed Woodpecker was seen along the Yellow
Trail of the Indian Path Common, near Bayport, Lunenburg County.&nbsp;
Anne Mills, who was leading a field trip focussing on Mosses for the
Halifax Field Naturalists (a great walk, thank you very much Anne) first
heard the bird at work in a large dead conifer.&nbsp; Since I was right
behind her I was able to see and identify the bird.&nbsp; Two other
woodpeckers were calling just ahead of us.&nbsp; I thought from their
calls (a single sharp &quot;peek&quot;) that they were Hairy Woodpeckers,
but I didn't see them before they flew away.&nbsp; I have since learned
that a Black-backed call is similar to a Hairy's call, though with
experience they can be distinguished.&nbsp; I haven't seen and heard many
Black-backed Woodpeckers though!&nbsp; I suppose it is possible that
there was a family group of Black-backed Woodpeckers; this is something
for the Atlasser in that area to look out for next year.<br><br>
Directions :<br>
Take exit 11 off Hwy 103 at Blockhouse.&nbsp; Turn left onto Rte
324.<br>
Continue until you cross old Rte 3 at a gas station; drive<br>
about 12 km to a 4-way stop with flashing red.&nbsp; Turn right<br>
onto Rte 332 and continue straight ahead past the Shell<br>
station for about 5 km until you see the sign for Bayport.&nbsp; <br>
After the Bayport sign look right for the Indian Path<br>
sign.&nbsp; Turn right on Indian Path and drive for 1.3 km to<br>
Fish Peddler Road.&nbsp; Turn left and continue for 1.8 km on<br>
the dirt road until a blue and white municipal sign on the <br>
right.&nbsp; This is the trail head.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br><b=
r>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br><b=
r>
At 03:01 PM 24/09/2006 -0300, you wrote:<br><br>
ne
Gautreau and I observed a lone black-backed woodpecker about 10 minutes
walking into the Aspotagan trail from the Hubbard s entrance. Other birds
of interest included a few warblers and 2 winter wrens.<br>