[NatureNS] FW: more on palatability and safety of buckthorn spp. berries

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:25:12 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jim & All,            Sept 21, 2006
    Thanks to Marian for checking this source, and who knows, it may be
correct.

    More often than not, databases could benefit from prolonged
administration of laxatives. For example, unless they have been recently
upgraded, the Materials Safety Data Sheets for Sodium Chloride contain
the same percautions, word for word, as the sheets for Nitric Acid,
Fuming Sulfuric Acid and a lot of other things that I would not want on
the dinner table.

    For Anthraquinone, The Merck Index, 9th ed., indicates no serious
physiological effects i.e. "Caution: Low systemic toxicity, but may
cause skin irritation, sensitization."  On the other hand, effects of a
chemical that is commonly found on the dinner table (Ethyl Alcohol)
include "Nausea, vomiting, flushing, mental excitement or depression,
drowsiness, impaired perception, incoordination, stupor, coma, death..."

    This just illustrates the shortcomings of broad generalizations.
Formulation, context, dosage and no doubt many other considerations are
all important.

    I have a test batch of R. frangula wine on the way and, at this
point,  it smells like stagnant ditch water; not a good omen.

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville