[NatureNS] West Coast pelagic Trip

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 06:39:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rob Woods <rrtwoods@yahoo.com>
To: Nature Nova Scotia <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0-417481842-1158586799=:75904

HI All,

  This was posted on the Irish birding list I am currently monitoring. If anybody is heading west it may be appealing.

  Rob

  Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 21:39:31 +0100
From: "Robson, Brad" <Brad.Robson@RSPB.ORG.UK>
Subject: Vancouver pelagic
To: IBN-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

some of you may be aware that since 2005 Zoom airline have been offering comparatively cheap flights to Canada direct from Belfast bringing some excellent north American birding within many people's budget. Originally flying to Halifax in Nova Scotia, Toronto and Vancouver, the first of these has been dropped after the first year but the other two are currently available and Halifax is available from Glasgow

Taking advantage of this I am heading to Vancouver myself on 23rd Sept for two weeks. Although my trip is a typical birder's family holiday i.e. doing all of the family things whilst gently steering them in the direction of the best birding sites and getting out by myself as much as possible, I have gone as far as to organise a pelagic out of Tofino on the west coast of Vancouver Island by finding a local to organise a boat, located a deep sea canyon 30 miles offshore and produced something of a potential species list. It seems that pelagics rarely get to sea off VI because of a lack of interest so the minimum number of participants, 6 is rarely reached. I have advertised the trip on the local birdnets and tracked down five willing birders, including two making the journey from Calgary in order to get some much desired species on their Canadian lists.

Unfortunately these same two people have now dropped out because the boat does not have a toilet of all things. I'm now on the hunt for at least two more semi-adventurous birders . To this end I had a notion that perhaps, by some stroke of luck there could be other Irish birders taking advantage of the cheap flights who happen to be there on the relevant dates who would jump at the chance of getting out into the NW Pacific. If so then here are the details and if you are interested please get back to me.

Dates: three day window to compensate for poss. bad weather 29th, 30th Sept and 1st Oct. 07:00 - c13:00hrs

Where: Tofino, west coast Vancouver Island heading to the Barclay Canyon, c30 miles offshore

Species: excellent likelihood of Black-footed albatross, Pink-footed shearwater, Sooty shear, poss Buller's and Short-tailed, outside chance of Flesh-footed shear. Possibly Laysan albatross and a cat-in-hell's chance of Short-tailed albatross. Very slim chance of Mottled petrel. Highly likely to see Fork-tailed and Leach's storm petrel, Sabs gull (poss), Marbled and Ancient murrelets, Rhinoceros and Cassin's auklets, Tufted puffin, outside chance of rarer auklets, Arctic skua and chance of South polar,
Grey phal and three spp of cormorant. Cetaceans are likely to include Humpback, Grey and Killer whale, Dall's porpoise, Pacific white-sided dolphin.

Vessel: 24ft Boston whaler open fast boat, design minimises seasickness! skipper and boat on hire from local whalewatch company, very knowledgeable and experienced in the area.

Cost:CA $199 c£86/Euro129

Cancellation: 24hrs notice for each day

Brad