[NatureNS] Loons and mystery bird

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 23:26:15 +0000

Hi all:

I saw a group of 8 common loons on the LaHave River yesterday at Dayspring
and a group of six today.  Also in Dayspring on the way to work this morning
  I saw a bird which has me puzzled.  I could not stop otherwise I would
have been late due to very slow drivers holding me up, 50 km below the speed
limit.  Anyhow, thats not here or there.  The bird that I saw was perched on
the electrical wires.  It was about half the size of a double-crested
cormorant.  It was all black and had a long sharp pointy bill with a very
thin tapered head.  The body was paper thin.  The thinnest that I have ever
seen in a bird for that size and the tail was longish.  Any suggestions
would be appreciated.  I'm at a loss.  I was definitely not a DCC.

Sincerely,

James R. Hirtle
Lunenburg