[NatureNS] Butterfly question

From: "Flora Cordis Johnson" <herself@wildflora.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:01:02 -0300

The fascinating discussion of butterflies inspires me to ask about a nearby
meadow that is full of what I believe is a hawkweed, probably Hieracium
pilosella. Lately every sunny day there are more and more yellow butterflies
flitting around this meadow. As they are almost the same color as the
hawkweed blossoms, and flit energetically just above the flowers, the sight
is quite magical. The butterflies often flutter around each other in groups
of two or three. They rarely seem to land on the flowers, but I do see them
puddling on areas of exposed soil. I'm sure this is a common butterfly, and
I'm embarrassed not to know what it is, but I would love to hear more about
it.
Wild Flora in Birch Hill