[NatureNS] Need some advice please

From: "d.bridgehouse" <d.bridgehouse@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 21:50:55 -0300

Hi Jeannie ,Angus : Your caterpillar is a cecropia aks Hyalophora cecropia.
Our biggest Saturniid.This time of year they like to wander in search of a
place to spin a cocoon. Seeing them crossing a road is not unexpected as the
will travel at times away from their food source. Your best bet would be to
leave it -as it takea couple of days to spin its double layered cocoon and
then another few days to pupate. You'll hear it moving around for a couple
of days asit finishes it spinning . Let it harden off then you can either
leave it in the conatiner with holes in the lid and place in your fridge
about mid -end of Oct and let be exposed to cool temp to diapause or you can
leave as is and place some wheres outside in a shed ( rodent proof ) and be
exposed to natural elements and then let emerge next spring around mid -
late June . In fridge I would take out it around end of May and let it
aclimatize to natural temps and emerge naturally .

	Any other questions just ask

	Good luck . These are truly amazing bugs.

	Derek B