[NatureNS] caterpillar

From: <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 16:21:56 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C6D299.BCD47FB0

I have noticed the caterpillars being identified - I have another for =
you.  This one is about 4 cm long, half a cm thick, all white - perhaps =
a dirty white - with what looks like four or five sharp barbs sticking =
up from its back.  It is attached to the bottom of my bird feeder and =
perhaps will make a cacoon there. What kind of  a creature will it be =
next spring?
As a rule I don't like caterpillars - I planted five high bush =
blueberries and the caterpillars have got two of them. I have picked =
three caterpillars off them in the last couple of weeks. These are what =
we used to call tent caterpillars, but perhaps they are now identified =
as webworms - I don't know the difference. =20
This has been a great year for blueberries. Three bushes have yielded =
between one and two quarts a week, and will continue to do so for some =
time yet if we have no frost.
The last few days I have had  a host of crane flies - I think that is =
what we used to call daddy- long- legs.  And spiders - I have never seen =
so many spiders in my life.
I think someone should write a book about the world being taken over by =
insects.

Roland
------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C6D299.BCD47FB0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have noticed the caterpillars being =
identified -=20
I have another for you.&nbsp; This one is about 4 cm long, half a cm =
thick, all=20
white - perhaps a dirty white - with what looks like four or five sharp =
barbs=20
sticking up from its back.&nbsp; It is attached to the bottom of my bird =
feeder=20
and perhaps will make a cacoon there. What kind of&nbsp; a creature will =
it be=20
next spring?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As a rule I don't like caterpillars - I =
planted=20
five high bush blueberries and the caterpillars have got two of them. I =
have=20
picked three caterpillars off them in the last couple of weeks. These =
are what=20
we used to call tent caterpillars, but perhaps they are now identified =
as=20
webworms - I don't know the difference.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This has been a great year for =
blueberries. Three=20
bushes have yielded between one and two quarts a week, and will continue =
to do=20
so for some time yet if we have no frost.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The last few days I have had&nbsp; a =
host of crane=20
flies - I think that is what we used to call daddy- long- legs.&nbsp; =
And=20
spiders - I have never seen so many spiders in my life.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I think someone should write a book =
about the world=20
being taken over by insects.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Roland</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C6D299.BCD47FB0--