[NatureNS] Marsh bird in Kegi-ID please

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:19:09 -0300
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi,

While Least Bittern would be a possibility, there's nothing
specifically in that description that would rule out an American
Bittern, which has some yellow at the base of the bill, and has
mottled brown spotting on the neck, + usually stretches its head
upwards. Statistically much more likely. Quite common, but secretive
and rarely seen - a neat bird.

Richard

--
Richard Stern,