[NatureNS] Marsh bird in Kegi-ID please

From: "Greg Dobbin" <dobbin@upei.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:18:27 -0400

Hi,
I am curious about a bird I saw this past weekend in Kegi while
canoing on the Mersey River. It looked like a willet or a rail
perhaps? It was a large bird, with its neck stretched upward it must
have been 30 plus cm. It mottled brown on the breast with yellow up
thru the neck toward the underparts of the head. It allowed us to
approach within 4 or 5 feet. I either saw 2 or the same one twice in
different parts of the river. It was hanging around the reeds at the
edge of the water in both instances.
Thanks.
Greg
Greg Dobbin