[NatureNS] trilling toad??

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 01:09:51 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Christie <maryspt@nbnet.nb.ca>

At 10:08 PM -0300 on 9/4/06, Jean Timpa wrote:

>	I just stepped onto my side porch for a breath of evening air
>(warmish, still and moist... and immediately heard
>not far away the very rapid trilling of what I believe is a toad.
>It certainly sounds like what I hear in the spring, but Jim Wolford
>tries to tell me that toads don't trill this time of year.
>Well, they shouldn't, but some birds sing now, and it is thought by
>some naturalists that these things happen, because the light
>intensity and duration and temperatures now are about the same as
>late spring...

>  The mysterious creature has a bit of a lower voice and a
>very controlled rapid, continuous sound.  It is not raspy like a
>katydid, either...  Any ideas as to what I may be hearing out here?

Hello Jean, and Wayne,

Check out the toad-like sound of the Black-horned Tree-Cricket
(Oecanthus nigricornis), which is heard a lot this time of year, at
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/bugs/tree-cricket.html  and
http://buzz.ifas.ufl.edu/589a.htm

I suspect that these insects may be increasing and spreading in the
Maritimes. At least, I first noticed them around my home at Mary's
Point, N.B., in 1999.

David
--

David Christie
Mary's Point, Albert Co., New Brunswick, CANADA