[NatureNS] trilling toad??

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 22:08:12 -0300

	I just stepped onto my side porch for a breath of evening air (warmish, still and
moist, but a poor show from "Ernesto" with hardly any precipitation) and immediately heard
not far away the very rapid trilling of what I believe is a toad.  It certainly sounds like what I
hear in the spring, but Jim Wolford tries to tell me that toads don't trill this time of year.
Well, they shouldn't, but some birds sing now, and it is thought by some naturalists that
these things happen, because the light intensity and duration and temperatures now are
about the same as late spring, creating a bit of confusing among some creatures!!  I hear
this same trilling in the fall in Bear River and out on the dykes here in Wolfville, but this is a
first for my yard. It is certainly not the crickets, because they are doing their crickety-crick
noises in the background as well. The mysterious creature has a bit of a lower voice and a
very controlled rapid, continuous sound.  It is not raspy like a katydid, either.  Every once in
awhile this songster stops, takes a breath and starts up again within a minute or so.
Andrew? Chris?  Any ideas as to what I may be hearing out here?  I still think it is a toad. It
is not a spring peeper, either, as it is not shrill enough. John Gilhen's book does not seem to
discuss calls or calling times. After all a frog or toad call is pretty difficult to describe
accurately in human words!! ;->  JET