[NatureNS] Monarchs still emrging

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: natureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:24:20 -0300

	I have seen Monarchs emerge as late as the Thanksgiving
weekend (2nd Monday in October) in Bear River and by mid day when it
started to get warm enough for them to rev up and get their big broad wings
moving, fly off to the southwest. Probably many leave Western Light on
Brier Island just as the birds do and head across the Bay for Maine. My
parents saw one at Schoodic, part of Acadia National Park, one fall day
come in off the water and literally collapse on the first flower it could find,
where it stayed for some time resting and sipping nectar. They knew from
whence it had come, as they had just returned from their usual summer
holidays in Bear River to Maine for the winter and wondered if it had grown
up in the milkweed patch on the HIll.