[NatureNS] Kentville Ravine Kings Co

From: "d.bridgehouse" <d.bridgehouse@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NATURENS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:20:54 -0300

On Saturday Aug 19  my wife Judith and walked the Kentville Ravine off Hwy 1
beside The Ag Res Centre. Some interesting leps were observed entering the
trail at the lower parking lot.Here the trail leads thru the open forest
corridor beside the stream on one side and wet grassy meadow on the other.
Lots of fowers which I believe to be "touch me nots " ( not too sure but
they were orange in color .

	Anyways interestingly there were 2 species of white butterflies flying
sympatrically in the same environment. First I noticed that there were no
black spots on this butterfly and thus came to realize that this was 2nd
generation Mustard White or Pieris oleracea oleracea . And of course the
other species was Cabbage White or Pireis rapae. But the Mustard White
outnumbered the Cabbage considerably by about 10:1. In this microhabitat I
wondered if there is any hybridization going on .

	Also I found Least Skipper or Ancyloxpha numitor on this late Aug date
almost a month later than Fergusons 1955 Macro Leps of NS  flight period of
July 1-17 . Interestingly in Butterflies of Canada  ,Layberry et al indicate
that they have two generations in Canada  with the first from mid June to
early July and then again from August to early September. This is  assuming
Ferguson never encountered any 2nd generation Least Skipper specimens in NS
and thus was not mentioned . It was found in typical wet  tall grassy
habitat in the ravine on the left side of the stream.

	Also there was a Vicroy , Fritillary sp and a Comma observed.

DWB

Derek W.Bridgehouse
85 Prince Albert Rd.
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia