[NatureNS] Shorebirds

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:44:54 +0000

I did a shorebird survey at Conrad's Island, Lower Rose Bay today.  There
had been nine white-rumped sandpipers down on the flats when another group
of shorebirds came winging in.  To my surprise 43 of the groups were also
white-rumped sandpipers making a total of 52.  This is the most white-rumps
I have ever seen in a group and definitely the most for this area.  Usually
there are only 7-10 present there.  Also of note was one Lincoln's sparrow
and about 30 Savannah sparrows.  There were no signs of the Nelson
Sharp-tails and I believe they have moved on.  Ten common terns were down on
the beach.

James R. Hirtle
Lunenburg