[NatureNS] re worms vs. cod health in St Margaret's Bay etc.

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:00:24 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_7LRLsYg1G2iFu5MGKvKpvg)

Before possibly commenting on the worms vs. health of cod, where were the
worms you found?  Were they in the stomach? intestine? flesh?  Thanks from
Jim in Wolfville
----------
From: Hubcove@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:47:15 -0400 (EDT)
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Subject: [NatureNS] St Margaret's Bay

Spent the morning all over the lower bay fishing in glassy waters. Good for
observing but unfortunately not much to observe. There were three resident
harbour porpoise but no larger dolphins or whales. Half a dozen harbour
seals were inshore and about 12 Grays were around the lower half of the bay.
No evidence of mackerel which probably explains the low numbers of marine
mammals. There are still some of the original run of mackerel in the upper
reaches of the bay. No sun fish, turtles or Tuna.
On the positive side I had no difficulty getting my limit of cod in the 24
inch range. I always inspect the stomachs and they were feeding primarily on
red rock shrimp, small crabs and brittle stars. One cod was quite large but
very skinny. On cleaning it had more than 30 worms compared with an average
of 4 or 5 for the others. My impression is that large numbers of worms do
have an effect on the health of the fish but I have never seen any
definitive word on that. Perhaps one of our experts could comment.
Peter Stow
Hubbards

--Boundary_(ID_7LRLsYg1G2iFu5MGKvKpvg)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>re worms vs. cod health in St Margaret's Bay etc.</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Before possibly commenting on the worms vs. health of cod, where were the worms you found? &nbsp;Were they in the stomach? intestine? flesh? &nbsp;Thanks from Jim in Wolfville<BR>
----------<BR>
<B>From: </B>Hubcove@aol.com<BR>
<B>Reply-To: </B>naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<BR>
<B>Date: </B>Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:47:15 -0400 (EDT)<BR>
<B>To: </B>naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<BR>
<B>Subject: </B>[NatureNS] St Margaret's Bay<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE="2"><FONT FACE="Arial">Spent the morning all over the lower bay fishing in glassy waters. Good for observing but unfortunately not much to observe. There were three resident harbour porpoise but no larger dolphins or whales. Half a dozen harbour seals were inshore and about 12 Grays were around the lower half of the bay. No evidence of mackerel which probably explains the low numbers of marine mammals. There are still some of the original run of mackerel in the upper reaches of the bay. No sun fish, turtles or Tuna.<BR>
On the positive side I had no difficulty getting my limit of cod in the 24 inch range. I always inspect the stomachs and they were feeding primarily on red rock shrimp, small crabs and brittle stars. One cod was quite large but very skinny. On cleaning it had more than 30 worms compared with an average of 4 or 5 for the others. My impression is that large numbers of worms do have an effect on the health of the fish but I have never seen any definitive word on that. Perhaps one of our experts could comment.<BR>
Peter Stow<BR>
Hubbards <BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_7LRLsYg1G2iFu5MGKvKpvg)--