[NatureNS] St Margaret's Bay

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:47:15 EDT
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

-------------------------------1155919635

Spent the morning all over the lower bay fishing in glassy waters. Good for
observing but unfortunately not much to observe. There were three resident
harbour porpoise but no larger dolphins or whales. Half a dozen harbour  seals
were inshore and about 12 Grays were around the lower half of the bay. No
evidence of mackerel which probably explains the low numbers of marine mammals.
There are still some of the original run of mackerel in the upper reaches of
the  bay. No sun fish, turtles or Tuna.
On the positive side I had no difficulty getting my limit of cod in the 24
inch range. I always inspect the stomachs and they were feeding primarily on
red  rock shrimp, small crabs and brittle stars. One cod was quite large but
very  skinny. On cleaning it had more than 30 worms compared with an average of 4
 or 5 for the others. My impression is that large numbers of worms do have an
 effect on the health of the fish but I have never seen any definitive word
on  that. Perhaps one of our experts could comment.
Peter Stow
Hubbards

-------------------------------1155919635

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2963" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>Spent the morning all over the lower bay fishing in glassy waters. Good=
 for=20
observing but unfortunately not much to observe. There were three resident=20
harbour porpoise but no larger dolphins or whales.&nbsp;Half a dozen harbour=
=20
seals were inshore and about 12 Grays were around the lower half of the bay.=
 No=20
evidence of mackerel which probably explains the low numbers of marine mamma=
ls.=20
There are still some of the original run of mackerel in the upper reaches of=
 the=20
bay. No sun fish, turtles or Tuna.</DIV>
<DIV>On the positive side I had no difficulty getting my limit of cod in the=
 24=20
inch range. I always inspect the stomachs and they were feeding primarily on=
 red=20
rock shrimp, small crabs and brittle stars. One cod was quite large but very=
=20
skinny. On cleaning it had&nbsp;more than 30 worms compared with an average=20=
of 4=20
or 5 for the others. My impression is that large numbers of worms do have an=
=20
effect on the health of the fish but I have never seen any definitive word o=
n=20
that. Perhaps one of our experts could comment.</DIV>
<DIV>Peter Stow</DIV>
<DIV>Hubbards&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>