[NatureNS] bald eagle and gull

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:38:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Virgina
While fishing in early spring in years gone by, I've
seen eagles chasing male common mergansers. They would
make repeated dive bombs passes at them but I've never
seen one actually catch one.
I assumed because the merganser was white, the eagle
had become conditioned to white chickens in the
Valley. Only an assumption on my part - the eagle
never told me that. The duck would dive and I've never
seen an eagle actually catch a duck. The eagles never
bothered the females which are brown.
I'm quite sure an eagle would kill a gull especially
if the gull was injured, sick or not paying attention!
Have a nice summer
Paul