[NatureNS] Mystery plant? Clintonia

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:43:39 -0300

	I'm glad you brought up the subject!
	And I should have known to Goggle (not a word, supposedly! but I
say usage makes it one!) sooner, although I did not find as much as I had
hoped, but here it is:
	Clintonia berries in two of the articles "are mildly poisonous to
humans". They also contain a saponin steroid, diosgenin, a chemical from
which progesterone is manufactured, although I do not get the impression
that Clintonia berries are used. Probably there are more abundant sources.
	However, I still have not found out what the poisoning agent might
be.  In smaller people -children -of course the effect is going to be more
serious, whatever the cause.
	I am not sure I have reviewed all the material yet, but with this
beautiful weather I'd better get away from this addictive computer and get
outside while the going is good!!  JET