[NatureNS] Clintonia poisonous??

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:52:19 -0300

	Thanks, Rick, for your interest in this and your research.  I would like to call Poison
Control and see what they have listed for Clintonia, but that would block a valuable line for a
mere academic question. Does anyone else know how to contact them without blocking that
line?  Perhaps going in to see them personally wherever they are "stationed" in the city. The
Queen Elizabeth II complex?? Little children are apt to mistake them for "blueberries",
thinking that all blueberries are Vacciniums, not yet old enough to be that discriminating.
Poison Control would probably have more experience with such terrible problems, if there
are any.
	A number of the Lily Family are listed as poisonous such as Star of Bethlehem, Lily
of the Valley, Narcissus, Daffodils, Jonquils, Camas sp., and Autumn Crocus (taken from
the Peterson Field Guide to Venomous Animals and Poisonous Plants). Another interesting
source of plants as potential foods is their guide to the Edible Plants. It often mentions side
effects in plants which have "traditionally" been assumed to be edible and delicious (but not
necessarily safe) as wild plant food sources. I must put that on my Christmas wish list!!  JET