[NatureNS] lack of birds

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:09:57 -0300

	This past weekend in Bear River was very very quiet, birdwise. I
heard one Robin complaining, saw one Blue Jay fly off, saw the usual
Purple Finches and Pine Siskins at cousin Wilbur's feeders. The only real
spectacle was at cousin Carole's two hummingbird tube feeders.  I have no
idea how many hummingbirds were at them as everyone know they dart
hither and yon so fast that counting is impossible, espcially in large
numbers. There were at least a dozen very busy birds feeding constantly or
chasing off rivals. I wasn't close enough to see what the gender proportions
might have been, but I have never seen so much activity at her feeders in
all these years of watching them. There were no swallows, swifts, or
nighthawks or warblers calling any more. I did hear one Alder Flycatcher
briefly near my house. It turned quite cold last weekend for a few days, so
perhaps that put the damper on the birds. We'll be going down again this
weekend, so it will be interesting to see if there is much of a change. JET