[NatureNS] FW: identified fungi from Irving Centre and Woodland Trails, Wolfville

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:48:18 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Thanks, Nancy!

One question: The "wolf's milk slime" on your list, which is a lovely but
slimy pink when still soft, is a slime mold -- are they considered to be
FUNGI by modern fungal taxonomists?  I know there are at least two very
different groups of slime molds, namely the plasmodial vs. the cellular
slime molds (Lycogala is one of the former), and they are so different that
at least the cellular ones are probably considered to be in a separate
phylum?  Of course, it's the plasmodial ones that we encounter fairly
frequently on our woodland walks, such as the "coral slime" you found a
couple or three weeks ago.

Jim