[NatureNS] FW: The poor little deer: Fawn born, orphaned same day -- Herald, Sat., Aug. 5, 2006

Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 11:59:11 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Paul MacDonald wrote:

>Hi Jim and All
>Although my name isn't Bob, I should like to tell you
>of an experience I had many years ago.
>I was travelling through Newfoundland and stopped at
>Corner Brook for the night. The folks there told me of
>a moose calf orphaned in the same way as the fawn. So
>I went to DNR to see the animal.
>The calf wasn't too healthy and nobody knew what to
>do. I suggested they feed it like a dairy calf.

Hi Paul & All,            Aug 7, 2006
    It has been a few years, but I recall teaching (newborn ?) calves
how to drink from a pail by sticking the two middle fingers in their
mouth, as a substitute teat, and shoving their head into a pail of
cow-temperature milk. After a few minutes of drinking, by sucking milk
around the fingers, they are able to drink directly from a pail.
    Is that essentially the technique that you refer to ?

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville