[NatureNS] Airport cliff swallows - 2006.

From: "Dennis Hippern" <dhippern@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 03:51:31 -0300

Hello All,
   The cliff swallows returned to the Halifax International airport a few
days early this year, likely due to the easy winter. I first saw a few on
May 4th. They usually don't arrive until the second week of May.
   They built 25 nests  at 3 adjacent sites. Even with the early start,
fledging took place about as usual on July 28 & 29. In previous years once
the nests were abandoned the birds left the area and were not seen again.
This year however, the cliffs joined by a few barn swallows, which nest in
small numbers in the cargo building, have been gathering in mass for the
last few days. Today, August 7th, I counted 150+ swallows hanging around the
cargo building. At least 95% were cliff swallows. The siding on the building
provides small ledges where the birds like to roost, seemingly enjoying the
warmth of the sun. This is not where they nested.
   I am a bit puzzeled as to where this number of birds came from. Either
this breeding season was extremely good for the 25 pairs (about 4 offspring
per pair) or there were more nests than I have found or birds have
congregated from other areas.
   All the Best,
Dennis Hippern (DHH)
Cole Harbour
(P.S. Who has the airport in their square?)

Play Q6 for your chance to WIN great prizes.
http://q6trivia.imagine-live.com/enca/landing