[NatureNS] Moose (and deer) problems on our highways

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 15:38:38 -0300

	An experiment along a notorious stretch of highway in Ontario a
few years a go now by their DNR, proved to be the most interesting solution
I have heard of to date, and yet I have not heard about it being tried here,
or with any seriousness.  Along the road edges were placed reflecting eyes
modelled after wolf, coyote, and predatory wild cats native to that area. The
accident toll along that particular stretch was known, and DNR hoped the
eyes would reduce the problem by 20 or 25%.  Much to their amazement
they had a 100% reduction in their accidents. I'm thinking it was an idea
copied from some work done in Europe?? I am wondering if someone who
is computer sauve could find out more about this experiment (it was written
up in the Chronicle Herald several years ago now), so that we could bring it
to the attention of politicians and our local DNR offices.  It would certainly
be much less invasive, and I would think less expensive?? JET